Wednesday, May 15, 2013

IMTX or Bust

It has been a while since my last update. The last month has really been a grind between work and training. I had a great last few high volume weeks leading into the taper which helped me gain some confidence going into IMTX...perhaps too much confidence. I have been spending a lot of time the last two weeks trying to formulate my plan of attack for the race.

When I started out my training program, I had a time goal in mind. Now I think I may be selling myself short. I have made a lot of improvements over the last 8 months. Personally, I don't know if I'd be happy with just going after the time goal. Part of me wants to unleash on the bike a little more and see what I can do on the run. Of course the more aggressive you ride, the more likely it is that you will bonk. This *could* be my only 140.4 of the year so I have had a significant internal debate as to what to do as there may not be a second chance. Can I live with bonking? Can I live with settling and being conservative? We have had a really cold spring up here, so I am not going to be used to the heat of IMTX. If that were not a factor, I think I would go for it for sure. Being it is, I am still a little baffled.

My body feels good. Mentally I feel rested and ready. Just one....major...detail to figure out before race day. My wife and I are leaving for the race this afternoon and it will be about a 14 hour drive for us. I know what I'll be thinking about the entire way down!

Good luck to all racing this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment