Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Gu Recovery Brew vs. Infinit Repair Formula

About a month ago, I wrote a quick write up about the first recovery "supplement" that I every tried. I really liked Gu Recovery Brew as far as taste and convenience. Like I said in that post, I prefer whole foods whenever possible. However, it is not always convenient to bring along a cooler with you to the gym and there is quite a bit of research about needing nutrients quickly after a workout. Although I liked Gu's recovery, I wanted to try a few others as well. The next one I tried was Infinit's Repair Formula.

For whatever reason the Lemon Lime Infinit Repair Formula is not currently available on Infinit's website. Trisports.com had a few Infinit Nutrition products that are the same price as they are on the Infinit website. Overall, I thought it was pretty similar to the Gu Recovery Brew. Here are my thoughts:

Taste:
I liked both just fine, but I think I prefer the taste of the Strawberry Watermelon Gu over the Lemon Lime Infinit Repair Formula. It is just different than most sports drinks I have had before, which may be why it stuck out a bit. On the other hand, Infinit is available in Orange, Fruit, and Lemon Lime from Trisports.com and in Chocolate flavor on the Infinit Nutrition website.

Cost:
Going off of the list price on Trisports.com, the cost per serving for Gu is $2.29 and for Infinit it is $1.58. Considering the serving sizes are bigger with Infinit Repair Formula, the edge definitely goes with Infinit.

Nutritional Components: 
Per serving, Infinit has more calories and pretty much more of every measure. Gu's serving size is 16 ounces and Infinit's is 20-24 ounces. If you make a 24 ounce bottle of Gu, the numbers become quite comparable.


Gu Recovery Brew
  • Calories 250
  • Sodium 160 mg
  • Potassium 70mg
  • Total Carb 52g
  • Sugars 17g
  • Protein 8g

Infinit Recovery Blend
  • Calories 300
  • Sodium: 375mg
  • Potassium: 108mg
  • Total Carb 65g
  • Sugars: 22g
  • Protein: 10g 
Overall:
Well, I have bought one of each kinds, which one will I buy again when they run out? Although I like the taste of Gu's Recovery Blend a bit better, I think I'll side with the value of Infinit Repair Formula. I like Infinit's business model, and have always used their products on the bike leg. I think I'll stick with what has worked for me in the past. That is of course unless I find another one to try in the mean time!


No comments:

Post a Comment